- Opportunity Available: Leadership position within the Executive Group, Faculty of Arts
- Appointment Type: Full time, fixed term (5 year appointment)
- Location: Macquarie University, Wallumattagal Campus (North Ryde)
As one of the largest providers of initial and postgraduate teacher education in Australia, the Macquarie School of Education delivers teacher education courses in early childhood, primary and secondary education, as well as programs in inclusion, special education, disability studies and educational leadership.
We are seeking to appoint an outstanding leader to the position of Dean, Macquarie School of Education, who will further advance the strength of the School to enact its core mission to serve students, educators and the wider community by providing transformative education and world-leading research. As a key member of the Faculty’s Executive Group, this position will actively contribute to and collaborate on a diverse array of strategic initiatives across academic and operational portfolios. This current opening in the Faculty of Arts offers a rare opportunity for an outstanding individual with a record of academic excellence in education to amplify the success of our teaching, research and engagement endeavors.
To be successful in the position, you will be an experienced, visionary leader who can unite, inspire and create a culture of high performance. You will bring with you a wealth of successful leadership and management experience within academic administration and proven success in the development and implementation of strategic plans aligned with organizational strategic priorities. As a skilled leader in enabling the development of a school in a collegial and collaborative manner, you will have built a strong external profile and reputation with current and prospective partners, industry, government, institutions and alumni. You will have in-depth knowledge of the Education sector of NSW and Australia, demonstrated academic leadership in Education, and an exceptional track record of teaching, research and engagement endeavors that have enabled successful, multidisciplinary collaborations with researchers across the wider academic community. You will also have proven expertise in curriculum design and innovation, and in the delivery and assessment of quality teaching programs to enhance student learning outcomes and teaching excellence. With a proven track record of modeling core academic and university values, you have a history of inspiring your team and fostering an environment of innovation and excellence.
The Macquarie School of Education is shaping the future of education through transformative learning and research. Our future-facing programs have their foundations in interdisciplinary research, and our curriculum allows students to learn discipline studies from experts across the University. Our strengths in stakeholder engagement and research ensure we are leading the way and enriching the lives of those who graduate, as well as the students who are the eventual recipients of all that we accomplish on campus. Ranked in the top 100 institutions worldwide for the discipline of Education, our research is also rated as above world standard by Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) and is recognized for its high impact in the education sector. Our teaching and research are supported by close collaboration with stakeholders and exceptional facilities – including the Macquarie University Special Education School for children in Years K-6 who have special learning needs. We are also affiliated with NextSense, formerly the Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children, that delivers cutting-edge teacher education and school education for children with sensory impairments.
To be considered for this position, you must demonstrate the following selection criteria in a résumé and supporting document by providing examples of your relevant experience and achievements:
- Demonstrated academic and people leadership capacity – including strong capability to manage financials, physical resources and people – to deliver outcomes against a background of change and development;
- Strategic thinking, business development and implementation at a senior level;
- Building relationships and partnerships with key education sector, business and government stakeholders;
- Proven track record in developing and enabling multidisciplinary collaborations within a school, faculty, university and wider community;
- Excellent professional judgment and sound decision-making ability based on equity, fairness and a considered and balanced approach to working through issues and achieving outcomes;
- Sound understanding of the Australian education sector, including an ability to work within regulatory and accreditation requirements to meet the needs of pre-service and graduating students and employers;
- Outstanding communication skills, including the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with key internal and external stakeholders;
- Collaborative and transformational leadership that unites and inspires people, and creates a culture of high performance and collegiality;
- Ability and experience to mentor and ensure the professional development of staff;
- Outstanding contributions to scholarship and research in a discipline, as evidenced by ongoing publications in top-tier journals, and recognition as an eminent authority in the discipline;
- A record of excellence in teaching and innovative curriculum development at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
We offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and the candidate’s relevant experience and qualifications. Relocation assistance will also be provided if required.
For a confidential discussion, please contact HR Manager, Louise Rassack on + 61 (2) 9950 9770 or 0435 242 754. To obtain an information pack or to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday, 4 September 2022, 11:59 pm (EST)