Alliance Manchester Business School (AMBS) seeks to hire a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Innovation. The successful applicant will be expected to contribute to teaching, research and engagement as a member of the Innovation, Strategy and Sustainability (ISS) Group, and to teach in degree programs on all levels. The ISS Group is part of the AMBS Innovation Management and Policy Division – one of four major divisions within the School.
The ISS group offers an MSc in Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship, alongside other AMBS MSc and undergraduate programmes, and contributes teaching at UG and PG levels across the University. Doctoral students can pursue either a PhD in Business and Management or a PhD in Science, Technology and Innovation Policy. Members of the ISS Group are affiliated with the Manchester Institute of Innovation Research (MIoIR) and/or the Sustainable Consumption Institute (SCI). Members of the IMP division may also be involved in research carried out at the ESRC Productivity Institute, headquartered at Alliance Manchester Business School.
AMBS is the largest campus-based business school in the UK and is ranked second in the UK for research power with over 250 full-time academics from many disciplines and national origins. Its student body in Manchester comes from every continent, and the School also teaches from University of Manchester Worldwide centers in four countries. AMBS enjoys close ties with multinational companies, SMEs, governments, NGOs and social enterprises at home and around the world. Our network of 50,000 alumni are well-placed in leading businesses, government organizations, and universities around the world.
The normal terms and conditions of The University of Manchester apply to the post. You will be involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in the field of Innovation.
The scope of research and teaching at ISS and the Institute of Innovation Research is broad and interdisciplinary. The ISS group delivers teaching that spans across a variety of subject areas: innovation, new product development, strategy, and entrepreneurship; creativity and design; behavioral strategy; innovation and sustainability; emerging technologies; and science and technology policy. Your portfolio of work will reflect both the needs of the school and your areas of interest and expertise.
The group is particularly interested in attracting high quality researchers in the areas of digital innovation, digital transitions and/or sustainability. We have teaching requirements in the areas of innovation and digital technologies and platforms, sustainability, developing creative and design-led ventures, high-tech entrepreneurship.
The scope of innovation research and teaching in the ISS group at AMBS is broad and
interdisciplinary, including economics and management innovation; strategy; entrepreneurship; creativity and design; developing innovation processes across firms and country boundaries; digitization in R&D; science-based industries; service innovation; creative industries innovation; innovation and sustainability; innovation and technology systems; international, national, and regional dimensions of innovation; responsible for research and innovation; analysis of the dynamics of STI policy and implementation processes; research-performing organizations and research funding systems; university/industry/government links; innovation and industrial policy; social innovation policy and equity and inclusion in innovation policy. We also welcome applicants with other combinations of interests in these broad and constantly evolving areas.
Members have published their work in leading journals such as Research Policy, Strategic
Management Journal, Organization Science, Academy of Management Journal, Organization Studies, Journal of Business Venturing, R&D Management, Regional Studies, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, among others.
The successful candidate will link research, teaching and engagement on the management of new combinations of digital and other technologies to create value in business and innovation systems with social, ethical and governance aspects.
- To deliver excellent teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels; MBA and executive education teaching may also be required To undertake research in areas associated with innovation, and disseminate the results through publication in appropriate peer-reviewed journals and elsewhere at a level of excellence consistent with a world-class institution To develop new courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels if required To supervise postgraduate students (taught MSc level and doctoral) in the discipline area To take on student academic advising roles To engage enthusiastically as a team player within a multidisciplinary division where teamwork is encouraged, as a member of the Innovation Strategy and Sustainability group To undertake and contribute to the management / administration of the IMP Division within Alliance Manchester Business School as appropriate To affiliate and engage as a member of the Manchester Institute of Innovation Research (MIoIR) To apply for research grants from external funding bodies Some overseas teaching may be required.
- Possession or near completion (by the time of the appointment) of a PhD or equivalent in innovation studies, entrepreneurship, sustainability, economics, or another relevant field
- For near, or recent, PhD candidates: a record of research with evidence of a clear
Potential to publish in leading peer-reviewed journals.
- For other candidates: commensurate with experience, a consistent record of high quality research with publications in leading peer-reviewed journals.
A strong analytical background, bringing either qualitative or quantitative (or a mix of) methodological skills, to innovation analysis
- The ability to provide high-quality teaching to a wide range of student groups to include undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
- Evidence of having had experience and/or substantial contribution to the design and delivery of own modules and assessment methods
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Versatility and willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues
- A research track record of note at an internationally excellent level and emergent record of publications in leading peer-reviewed academic journals and acceptance at major academic conferences.
- Specialism in one or more emerging domains of innovation
- Expertise in digital innovation and digital technologies as a research subject and/or methodological tool
- Expertise in societal, ethical, and governance aspects of digitalization and emerging technologies
- A specialism in a key industry sector/area of innovation/innovation governance developed through empirical research Interest in developing interdisciplinary research collaborations and engagements across campus and with external stakeholders and communities
- Ability to teach at MBA and/or executive education in areas of innovation and governance of digital and emerging technologies.