BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Lehigh and Loyola Maryland collected two Patriot League GEICO Men’s Lacrosse weekly awards apiece, while Lafayette earned one when the League announced the awards on Monday.
Lehigh graduate student Teddy Leggett claimed defensive player of the week while teammate senior Mike Sisselberger was named the faceoff specialist of the week for the third time this season.
Loyola graduate students attack Aidan Olmstead and goalkeeper Sam Shafer earned offensive player and goalkeeper of the week, respectively. For Shafer, it marked the second time to be honored this season.
Lafayette freshman midfielder Liam Sargent rounded out the awards as rookie of the week.
Army West Point senior attack Brendan Niern, Bucknell sophomore attack Dutch Furlong, Colgate freshman attack Jack Turner, Lafayette sophomore midfielder Aidan Kelly and senior attack Peter Lehman, Lehigh graduate student goalkeeper James Spence, and Loyola Maryland’s long-stick midfielder Ryan McNulty and faceoff specialist Bailey Savio all earned honorable mention recognition.
The Patriot League Men’s Lacrosse weekly awards are selected in a vote by each school’s sports information director who is not eligible to vote for their student-athletes.
2022 Patriot League Men’s Lacrosse Championship Berths Clinched
Four teams have clinched postseason berths to the 2022 Patriot League Men’s Lacrosse Championships — Army West Point, Boston University, Lehigh, and Loyola Maryland. Postseason play begins with the quarterfinal-round action on Tuesday, May 3. The semifinal round will be played on Friday, May 6. The Patriot League Men’s Lacrosse Championship Game is scheduled to be played on Sunday, May 8. The semifinal and championship games will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network.
Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week
Aidan Olmstead, Loyola Maryland, Gr., A, Painted Post, NY/Corning-Painted Post
* Olmstead matched his season-high with seven points on Saturday in the Greyhounds’ 18-7 win over Navy, scoring three times and posting four assists.
* Olmstead had three goals and an assist during a 10-0 Greyhounds’ run in the first and second quarters that put them in control of the game.
* He finished with five points on two goals and three assists in the first half before adding a goal and an assist in the third quarter.
Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week
Teddy Leggett, Lehigh, Gr., LSM/D, Vaughan, Ontario/The Hill Academy
* Teggett collected six groundballs, for his fourth straight game with six or more ground balls, in the team’s 13-12 win over Bucknell.
* The graduate student was part of a defense that held Bucknell scoreless for a stretch of 23:09 bridging the end of the first through third quarters.
Patriot League Faceoff Specialist of the Week
Mike Sisselberger, Lehigh Sr., FO/M, Center Valley, Pa./Southern Lehigh
* Sisselberger won 20-of-27 faceoffs with a season-high 15 groundballs in Sunday’s 13-12 win over Bucknell.
* Sisselberger was 11-of-13 in the second half and 15-of-18 over the final three quarters.
* For the season, he has won 66.8 percent of his faceoffs (161-of-241) with 96 groundballs.
Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week
Sam Shafer, Loyola Maryland, Gr., GK, Royaton, Conn./Trinity-Pawling School
* Shafer made nine saves and allowed only six goals in just under 49 minutes of action on Saturday in the Greyhounds’ 18-7 victory versus Navy.
* He also helped Loyola successfully clear the ball 18 of 19 times.
* Shafer made six of his saves in the third quarter as Loyola continued to widen its margin with a strong defensive performance.
Rookie of the week
Liam Sargent, Lafayette, Fr., M, Manhasset, NY/Manhasset Secondary
* Sargent scored his first career goal in the first quarter against Holy Cross and registered a hat trick in the game to help Lafayette defeat Holy Cross, 21-11.
Brendan Niern, Army, Sr., A, Massapequa, NY/Massapequa (USMAPS)
* Nichtern scored three goals and dished out a game-high three assists for a game-high six points in the 13-11 win against Colgate.
Dutch Furlong, Bucknell, So., A, Baltimore, Md./Gilman School
* Furlong posted a game-high seven points on a hat trick and four assists in the one-goal loss at No. 19 Lehigh.
Jack Turner, Colgate, Fr., A, Basking Ridge, NJ
* Turner scored his first collegiate hat trick against Army West Point, including the game-tying goal in the fourth quarter.
Aidan Kelly, Lafayette, So., M, Rockville Centre, NY/South Side
* Kelly went 20-for-30 in faceoffs to help Lafayette set up 21 goals. Kelly also grabbed eight ground balls in the win.
Peter Lehman, Lafayette, Sr., A, Warminster, Pa./Council Rock North
* Lehman scored a career-high five goals with an assist to help the Leopards set the program record for goals in a single game in the Patriot League era with 21 against Holy Cross.
James Spence, Lehigh, Gr., GK, Springfield, Pa./Springfield
* Spence made 13 saves, allowing 12 goals in Sunday’s 13-12 win over Bucknell, as he stopped all five sent his way in the second quarter and five-of-eight in the fourth.
Ryan McNulty, Loyola Maryland, Gr., LSM, Exton, Pa./Bishop Shanahan
* McNulty tied for the team lead in ground balls with six in the team’s 18-7 win over Navy.
Bailey Savio, Loyola Maryland, Gr., FO, Greenwich, Conn./Greenwich
* Savio won 15 of 24 at the faceoff X with six ground balls in the team’s 18-7 win over Navy. He won all six of the faceoffs during the second quarter to help the Greyhounds take a 12-3 lead at halftime.
Offensive Player of the Week
2.7—Connor Davis, Bucknell
2.14 – Brendan Niern, Army West Point
2.21 – Brian Minicus, Colgate
2.28 – Brendan Niches, Army West Point
3.7 – Brendan Niches, Army West Point
3.14 – Kevin Lindley, Loyola Maryland
3.21—Max Hewitt, Navy
3.28 – Vince D’Alto, Boston U
4.4 – Timmy Ley, Boston U
Defensive Player of the Week
2.7—Sean Rushton, Lafayette
2.14 – Kyle Fairbanks, Navy
2.21—Frankie Higgins, Bucknell
2.28 – Roy Meyer, Boston U
3.7 – Roy Meyer, Boston U
3.14 – Ryan McNulty, Loyola Maryland
3.21 – Payton Rezanka, Loyola Maryland
3.28 – Chris Conlin, Holy Cross
4.4 – Roy Meyer, Boston U
Faceoff Specialist of the Week
2.7 – Nick Crovatto, Bucknell
2.14 – Mike Sisselberger, Lehigh
2.21 – Nick Crovatto, Bucknell
2.28 – Nick Crovatto, Bucknell
3.7—Mike Sisselberger, Lehigh
3.14 – Will Coletti, Army West Point
3.21 – Thomas Colucci, Colgate
3.28 – Conor Calderone, Boston U
4.4 – Will Coletti, Army West Point
Goalkeeper of the Week
2.7—Max Nolan, Bucknell
2.14 – Wyatt Schupler, Army West Point
2.21 – Matt Lacombe, Colgate
2.28 – Wyatt Schupler, Army West Point
3.7 – Matt Garber, Boston U
3.14 – Matt Garber, Boston U
3.21 – Sam Shafer, Loyola Maryland
3.28 – Rich O’Halloran, Bucknell
4.4 – Wyatt Schupler, Army West Point
Rookie of the week
2.7—Connor Davis, Bucknell
2.14 – Connor Davis, Bucknell
2.21 – Connor Davis, Bucknell
2.28 – Henry Tolker, Navy
3.7—Connor Davis, Bucknell
3.14 – Connor Davis, Bucknell
3.21 – Matt LaCombe, Colgate
3.28 – Henry Tolker, Navy
4.4 – Rich O’Halloran, Bucknell
ABOUT THE PATRIOT LEAGUE
The Patriot League is in its fourth decade of academic and athletic achievement, continually demonstrating that student-athletes can excel at both academics and athletics without sacrificing high standards. The Patriot League’s athletic success is achieved while its member institutions remain committed to its founding principle of admitting and graduating student-athletes that are academically representative of their class. Participation in athletics at Patriot League institutions is viewed as an important component of a well-rounded education.