About the position
The focus of the position is to conduct empirical research, development and to support the management of the educational technology research area. Educational Technology is a cross-disciplinary research and teaching area focusing on design, development, utilization, management and evaluation of different computer technological artefacts and tools as educational agents for stimulating and engaging quality education along with seamless interaction of human and technology in teaching and learning environments.
The IDI Educational Technology Laboratory has members from multiple research units based in Trondheim and Gjøvik. It also has several research initiatives and courses at the faculty/ departments and relies on a tight collaboration with several partners from the public and private sector including the Center for Excellent IT education (Excited), and schools in the region.
The position reports to the Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- Explore, develop and evaluate the use of various technologies to enhance quality in education and conduct empirically grounded research on educational technology
- Participate in the management and coordination of the IDI Educational Technology Laboratory, within areas relevant to the position
- Organize cross unit workshops to enhance collaboration between various members and partners
- Lead/support research proposals from IDI in the area of educational technology
- Communicate and disseminate results to academic and non-academic stakeholders
- Publish in international conferences and journals in the relevant fields
- Support in teaching
Required selection criteria
A postdoctoral research fellowship is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions.
The postdoc’s main objective is to honor and further develop research skills acquired during the PhD.
Completion of a Norwegian doctoral degree in Information Systems or Software Engineering or a related area, preferred with a focus on Educational technologies, Data analytics in education or equivalent foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- A good, documented understanding of the relevant research fields and experience with the latest educational technology
- Software and system development skills
- Proven skills in applying qualitative, quantitative, or mixed research methods in real-world organizations
- Demonstrated research capability via a good publication record in the relevant areas
- The ability and willingness to conduct research independently as well as collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent written and oral English language skills.
- Hands-on experience with learning analytics, information visualization and data science tools and techniques.
- Experience with latest technology such as humanoid robots, AR/VR, serious games will be considered as an advantage.
- Experience from national or international research projects will be considered as an advantage.
- Ability to interact, also independently, with various stakeholders including external organizations
- Ability to deal with cross-disciplinary challenges
- Demonstrated ability to quickly acquire knowledge in new topics
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team-based environment
- Passion for uncovering new knowledge and explaining it to others
Salary and conditions
Postdoctoral candidates are remunerated in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 553 500 per annum before tax. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The employment period is 3 years, one of which is dedicated for compulsory work.
The commitment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application must contain:
- CV, including a list of all publications in peer-reviewed conferences and journals
- Certified copies of diplomas
- The 5 most significant publications attached as pdf files, including an explanation in the below mentioned research statement, of their relevance to this position
- A research statement of 3 to 5 pages. The statement must include the following sections:
- A short presentation of the motivation for applying to this position
- How the candidate sees her/his background as suitable
- Theoretical and methodological knowledge about the research area
- Recent trends and important problems in the advertised area
- A summary of the candidate’s role and involvement in previous projects relevant to the research area
- Name, phone number and email address of three referees.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant’s contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas, certificates, 5 publications, research statement and contact details of 3 referees. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
Working at NTNU
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The national labor force must reflect the composition of the population to the greatest possible extent, NTNU wants to increase the proportion of women in its scientific posts. Women are encouraged to apply. NTNU has three campuses at Trondheim, Ålesund and Gjøvik. This position will be based at Gjøvik and will work closely with Trondheim.
The city of Gjøvik has a population of 30,000 and is a town known for its rich music and cultural life. The beautiful nature surrounding the city is ideal for an active outdoor life! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Associate Professor Deepti Mishra, phone number +47 469 48 657, e-mail email@example.com, or the Head of Department Professor Heri Ramampiaro, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR-team at the Department of Computer Science, e-mail: email@example.com.
Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2021/54283 when applying.
Application deadline: 10.05.22
NTNU – knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Computer Science
We are the leading academic IT environment in Norway, and offer a wide range of theoretical and applied IT programs of study at all levels. Our subject areas include hardware, algorithms, visual computing, AI, databases, software engineering, information systems, learning technology, HCI, CSCW, IT operations and applied data processing. The Department has groups in both Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Computer Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
deadline 10th May 2022
employer NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology
scope full time
Place of service Campus Gjovik