At its annual awards reception during Graduate Education Week, the Graduate School recognized master’s and doctoral degree students from across Virginia Tech’s campuses and programs for their work, honoring them with awards of excellence.
Award winners included the graduate students of the year and students who received the service excellence award, graduate teaching assistance excellence awards, and outstanding dissertation and thesis awards. Outstanding master’s degree and Ph.D. students chosen by each college honors received, as did faculty members chosen by the colleges.
“The Graduate School at Virginia Tech could not be more proud to celebrate the individuals honored in our Graduate Education Week Awards Ceremony,” said Graduate School Dean Aimée Surprenant. “These awards honor a variety of accomplishments, from mentoring to outstanding research, scholarship, and teaching to individuals exhibiting character and service. Each winner has been chosen by a selection committee and represents excellence in their field. We look forward to seeing what they accomplish in the future — it will be great, I promise.”
Student of the year and service awards
- 2022 Graduate Students of the Year: Gabriela Carrillo, Ph.D. candidate in translational biology, medicine, and health, Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC; other Jack Leff, Ph.D. Candidate in science, technology and society, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences.
- Graduate Service Excellence Awards: Kathryn Lopez, Ph.D. student in civil and environmental engineering, College of Engineering.
Thesis and dissertation awards
- Outstanding Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Dissertation Award: Lindah KotutComputer Science, College of Engineering.
- Outstanding Social Sciences, Business, Education, and Humanities (SSBEH) Dissertation Award: Kazuki Horieducation research and evaluation, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences.
- Outstanding Master’s Thesis Award, STEM: Molly HickmanComputer Science, College of Engineering.
- Outstanding Master’s Thesis Award, SSBEH: Jessica Brabblehistory, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) Instructor of Record Excellence Award: Sarah Blackowski, Ph.D. student in engineering education, College of Engineering.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Excellence Award: Troy Jaisohn Kimmechanical engineering, College of Engineering.
Outstanding doctoral degree students
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences: Leah Hamiltonfood science and technology.
- College of Architecture and Urban Studies: Omobolanle Ogunseijubuilding construction.
- College of Engineering: Barath Udayasuryanbiomedical engineering.
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences: Damian Williamsscience, technology and society.
- College of Natural Resources and Environment: Yangzhousustainable biomaterials.
- College of Science: Whitney Woelmerbiological sciences.
- Pamplin College of Business: Haozhen Zhangmanagement.
- Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine: Sarah Kuchinskybiomedical and veterinary science.
- Interdisciplinary doctoral student: Connor Browngenetics, bioinformatics, and computational biology.
Outstanding master’s degree students
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences: Aryan Jamesentomology.
- College of Architecture and Urban Studies: Alexandra Palinvisual arts.
- College of Engineering: Bharath Bharadwajmechanical engineering.
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences: Kiana WilkersonHistory.
- College of Natural Resources and Environment: Brogan Holcombefish and wildlife conservation.
- College of Science: Carla Lopez Lloredabiological sciences.
- Pamplin College of Business: Alexis Monahanbusiness administration.
- Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine: Emily Hellsternbiomedical and veterinary science.
Outstanding faculty mentors
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences: Professor Boris Vinatzer, plants and environmental sciences.
- College of Architecture and Urban Studies: Professor Frank Weiner architecture.
- College of Engineering: Associate Professor David Knight engineering education.
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences: assistant professor Jordan MacKenziephilosophy.
- College of Natural Resources and Environment: professor kevin edgar, sustainable biomaterials.
- College of Science: Associate Professors Pearl Chiu other Brooks King Casas, psychology.
- Pamplin College of Business: associate professor Mario Pandelaere, marketing.
- Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine: Professor John Rossmeisl, biomedical and veterinary science.
For more information about the awards, visit the Graduate School’s awards and honors webpage.